For those of you who don’t understand archaeology, I have made a diagram.
Artwork by Travis English aka Starwarskid
What appeal does Hoth even have?
Here are reasons why people do not think The Great Gatsby was a good movie when it actually was.
The tumultuous opening - To all of you who were made queasy by the seemingly superfluous use of special effects, re-read the book. The entire goddamn thing was a social commentary about how completely insane everybody in this social circle was during the Roaring Twenties. The fast paced-cuts, weird camera angles, and disorienting passage through scenes are all a visual representation of how fucking drunk everyone was at these parties AND the confetti-sprinkled mess of a decade. I will agree that the text Nick Carraway wrote appearing on the screen and all the zooming to show the sprawling skylines were stupid, but every movie with a big budget is going to do something stupid with their effects. You have to take it with a grain of salt, just like…
The music - I was caught off guard by the blend of modern hip-hop with 20s style jazz (Although Suit & Tie is a thing, so I guess I should have been a bit more prepared), and I wasn’t a huge fan. But the thing is, that’s not the point. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t like the music; anyone who wants to think they know anything about it needs to realize that 20s jazz and modern hip-hop are the same thing. Craig Armstrong did his homework and found that the two genres are rooted in opulence, materialism, and grandiosity, to name a few, which are the main themes that The Great Gatsby is about! Gatsby is a cautionary tale against the evils of baseless money and status; it’s not a movie about…
The characters- If you complained about how one-dimensional the characters were, go reread the book. Daisy Buchanan is property to the men, not her own character, who was coerced into marriage instead of doing what she wanted. Also she’s a moron. Tom is even more of an idiot who is also openly racist and thinks he’s great because he inherited his family fortune after peaking at age 22 (hello, Rich Kids of Instagram, nice to see you again). Jordan Baker is a plot device, and that’s it for her. And Gatsby is a man obsessed who built himself on lies. They are one-dimensional because they were written as such to caution people, again, against the baselessness of “old money” and all the shiny things you can buy. The characters don’t have any morals? Wow, what a surprise, neither did anyone else. The only person who might was Nick, but since he’s too busy narrating the whole thing (i.e. talking about others instead of himself), we don’t get to see that, and we aren’t supposed to.
Do yourselves a favor and read the Great Gatsby and do everything you can to not focus on the colors. The colors of everybody’s outfits are about as important as the fact that Stormtroopers have guns in Star Wars. Instead, focus on what the characters are doing to each other and how shitty they all are. The book is about shitty people and how foolish we are to idolize them. Go look at the cover of any magazine at the grocery store and you’ll see that Kim Kardashian or whoever else gets worshipped for no reason belongs right in the mix of a Gatsby party.
Bro Team’s quote about Madmen summarizes the book/movie really well. “Wow, they all drink and smoke and treat women like shit. I guess art really does imitate life…”
And then there’s this.
Special thanks to my flaky friends who don’t come to shows that they say they’ll attend.
There are few things that cut me more than people who say they’ll come see me play and flake at the last minute. To those of you who DO come to the shows, you have no idea how much it means to me.
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012 (via thepeacefulterrorist)
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.
i made sum pancakes
oh my god are you shitting me
Anonymous asked: I think you are one of the most amazing people I have ever met. You are infinitely talented, handsome, kind, and funny. I wish you all the luck in the world for your future endeavors, be them musically-oriented or otherwise. You deserve everything good this world has to offer. Cheers, Jonathan.
ALL ABOARD THE FEELS TRAIN